Medically Reviewed By:
Jaw Clenching HeadachesTension headaches can be the result of a jaw issue, especially if a person subconsciously clenches the jaw often or if there is an underlying infection in the ears, nose, or throat. Many people mistakenly believe they have migraines when they actually have severe tension headaches caused by jaw clenching instead.3 To diagnose this issue, a doctor may use a “spray and stretch” technique that involves applying vapocoolant spray on the facial muscles to determine whether the headache responds to this stress headache strategy.7 Temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and grinding of the teeth can also cause jaw clenching headaches.3,7
Caffeine Withdrawal HeadachesCaffeine can help people feel more energized throughout the day, but it can also lead to a caffeine headache when cutting back on this stimulant. Caffeine affects the brain in terms of blood vessel size, adenosine levels, electrical movements in the brain, sleep patterns, and motor skills.1 Tension-related caffeine withdrawal headaches can be minor or severe based on how dependent a person has become upon caffeine.1,6 However, in moderation and in very low doses, such as the dose of caffeine in Vanquish, this stimulant can actually relieve tension headache pain very effectively.6
Stress Tension HeadachesSmall daily stresses and prolonged stresses are major tension headache causes. These types of headaches often result in neck pain, pain that fluctuates in severity, and pain that begins above the eyebrows before radiating throughout the entire head. Some effective strategies for taming stress tension headaches include relaxation techniques that involve deep breathing, eating healthy meals regularly, and biofeedback with electrodes to train the body’s muscles to relax before they tighten so much to cause stress tension headaches.5
Eye Strain HeadachesStaring at a computer screen, smartphone, or even print text without easily being able to see it can result in an eye strain headache, which is one of the many tension headache causes.2 To prevent tension-based eyestrain headaches, limit the use of electronic devices throughout the day by taking frequent breaks, moving the eyes in all directions to exercise them, and blinking often to promote the natural production of tears. Adjusting interior lighting, screen brightness, and posture can also reduce a person’s risk of eye strain headache. Vanquish is a highly recommended over-the-counter solution for these various tension headache causes. It’s the perfect combination of pain relief and a low dose of caffeine 4,5 to make tough tension headaches go away quickly and gently. Vanquish® is indicated for tension headaches. If you have a cluster headache, sinus headache, migraine headache or any other type of headache you may want to consult a doctor.
References for An Overview of the Most Common Tension Headache Causes
- American Migraine Foundation. Caffeine and Migraine. Retrieved on August 19, 2019 from https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/resource-library/caffeine-and-migraine/
- American Migraine Foundation. Do I Need To Have My Eyes Checked If My Head Hurts? Retrieved on August 19, 2019 from https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/resource-library/do-i-need-to-have-my-eyes-checked-if-my-head-hurts/
- Cleveland Clinic. Your Jaw May Be to Blame for Your Migraine Headaches. Retrieved on August 19, 2019 from https://health.clevelandclinic.org/your-jaw-may-be-to-blame-for-your-migraine-headaches/
- Illinois Department of Public Health. Facts About Headaches. Retrieved on August 19, 2019 from http://www.idph.state.il.us/about/womenshealth/factsheets/headaches.htm
- Mayo Clinic. Tension Headache; Diagnosis and Treatment. Retrieved on August 19, 2019 from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tension-headache/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20353982
- National Headache Foundation. Does Caffeine Trigger or Treat Headaches? Retrieved on August 19, 2019 from https://headaches.org/2019/02/24/does-caffeine-trigger-or-treat-headaches/
- University of Utah Health. How To Tell If Your Headaches Are A Jaw Issue. Retrieved on January 19, 2019 from https://healthcare.utah.edu/the-scope/shows.php?shows=0_bt01oaam
VANQUISH® is indicated for tension headaches. If you have a cluster headache, sinus headache, migraine headache or any other type of headache you may want to consult a doctor.