1. Magnesium-Rich FoodsEating a nutrient-rich diet is one of the best ways to prevent and alleviate headaches, but perhaps the most important nutrient in this regard is magnesium. Individuals who have frequent headaches often have low magnesium levels, and increasing those levels can bring all-natural headache relief. Doctors recommend taking 200-600 milligrams of magnesium per day to prevent headaches. It can be taken in capsule form with supplements or through healthy foods like whole grains, beans, broccoli, nuts, and seeds.2,3
2. Lavender, Basil, and Peppermint OilsEssential oils are used in many natural remedies, and lavender oil is a great one for natural headache relief. This oil can be applied topically to the temples, or add a couple drops into boiling water and inhale the vapors without actually ingesting any of the oil. Another idea is to draw a footbath and add lavender oil to the hot water to ease pressure on the blood vessels. Other useful oils for headache relief are basil oil and peppermint oil.2,3,4
3. Feverfew and Butterbur HerbsA third suggestion about how to relieve a headache naturally is to try using herbs like feverfew and butterbur. In research studies, participants have reported less migraine pain after taking feverfew, for example. Feverfew may also help reduce other migraine symptoms, such as nausea and sensitivity to noise and light.2,3 Another herb called butterbur is known to headache sufferers for its anti-inflammatory effect because inflammation often triggers headaches. It is possible to find these herbs in fresh or dried form, or to purchase them as capsules or a liquid extract.3
4. Vitamin B-12 Foods and SupplementsAnother nutrient that aids in natural headache relief is vitamin B-12. Many people do not get enough of this vitamin in their diets, so it may be necessary to supplement with vitamin B-12 capsules. Upon a doctor recommendation, headache sufferers may find natural headache relief by getting more vitamin B-12 on a daily basis. Healthy foods that contain this vitamin include fish, almonds, and sesame seeds.2,3
5. Chiropractic Care and AdjustmentsChiropractic adjustments are also sometimes recommended for headache sufferers as part of a headache treatment strategy. This type of natural care can reduce oxidative stress, which prevents free radical damage in the body. Clinical trials have shown that basic spinal manipulation techniques can treat headaches and reduce their recurrence because they help reduce overall stress in the body.
References for 5 Natural Headache Relief Remedies to Try
- Altabakhi, I. W., & Zito, P. M. (2018, December 2). Acetaminophen/Aspirin/Caffeine. Retrieved on August 22, 2019 fromhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513274/
- Harvard Health Publishing. Headache Remedies to Help You Feel Better. Retrieved on September 14, 2019 fromhttps://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/headache-remedies-to-help-you-feel-better
- Healthline. 18 Remedies To Get Rid Of Headaches Naturally. Retrieved on September 14, 2019 fromhttps://www.healthline.com/nutrition/headache-remedies
- Gotter, Ana. Healthline. Five Essential Oils for Headaches. Retrieved on August 19, 2019 fromhttps://www.healthline.com/health/essential-oils-for-headaches#-rosemary-oil
VANQUISH® is indicated for tension headaches. If you have a cluster headache, sinus headache, migraine headache or any other type of headache you may want to consult a doctor.